Monday, November 3, 2008

The Capitol Christmas Tree

Saturday the Forest Service cut the Christmas tree which will go in front of the Capitol in Washington. The tree came from our forest so all were excited. I decided to go and help out where needed. Over 500 people showed up and we had Christmas carolers, bondfires, hot chocolate and cookies. It was really neat but took a really long time. They held up the tree with a crane so it wouldn't fall when they actually cut it. (Apparantly a couple of years ago they cut the tree and made it land on the truck. Well it ended up breaking a lot of the branches and they had to use their back up tree.) Then they layed it parallel and put it on a huge truck. I didn't stay for the whole thing because it was taking FOREVER and the Fl/Ga game was starting. (I may be living in Montana but my priorities are still back home!)The truck for the Christmas tree. The entire truck is over 100 ft long. I'm just really glad I didn't have to drive it down that mountain road!
Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree....
The tree being carefully laid down before it gets on the truck.
I'm ready for Christmas! (It's cold enough!!)
Not related to the Christmas tree at all...just a beautiful view heading out to do some work. The golden trees to the left are the larches.

1 comment: